with 24 saves for the Hurricanes

in Events 15.11.2019 06:21
von Cl11234566 • 405 Beiträge

MASON, Ohio -- With her body aching after another loss, Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli decided to retire Wednesday night, saying she could no longer deal with the continuous pain on the court. Her tearful announcement at the Western & Southern Open came less than two months after she pushed through the pain to win her greatest championship on Wimbledons chewed-up grass. "My body was really starting to fall apart and I was able to keep it together, go through the pain -- with a lot of pain -- throughout this Wimbledon and make it happen," the 28-year-old French player said, tears running down her cheeks. "That was probably the last little bit of something that was left inside me. "Ive been playing for a long, long, long time, and its time for me now. It is." She was seeded 15th when she beat Sabine Lisicki for the title at the All England Club, ending the match with an ace. She climbed into the stands to hug her father, Walter, a doctor who drove her 100 miles or so to tournaments in France when she was in middle school. After another painful time on court during a 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 loss to Simona Halep on Wednesday night, she called her father and came to her decision. "I have pain everywhere after 45 minutes or an hour of play," she said. "Ive been doing this for so long. And yeah, its just body-wise, I cant do it anymore." Bartoli has been hampered by an injured left foot, right ankle, right hamstring and Achilles tendon injury. She said every part of her body hurt while she was on the court Wednesday, and its been like that for some time. She reached a career-high ranking of No. 7 at the start of the 2012 season, but a Grand Slam title eluded her. Bartoli finally won at Wimbledon in her 47th Grand Slam tournament, the most by any woman before winning one. After that title, her ranking moved back to No. 7. Once the joy of that moment left, the pain returned and she found herself considering the end of her career. Her rough night on the court Wednesday convinced her that she had nothing left, with her Achilles, hip, shoulder and back aching. She decided to retire without fanfare or second guesses. "You know, everyone will remember my Wimbledon title," she said. "No one will remember the last match I played here. "Its been a tough decision to take. I dont take this easily. I mean, Ive been a tennis player for a long time and I had a chance to make my biggest dream a reality. I felt I really, really pushed through the ultimate limits to make it happen. "But now I just cant do it anymore." WTA Chairman and CEO Stacey Allaster congratulated her on her career. "She is an inspirational champion and a great ambassador for womens tennis that has dedicated her life to the sport and given so much back to the game," Allaster said. "Fans and everyone at the WTA will surely miss Marions energy and passion for our sport. "I am so proud of her for who she is, her values, and for fighting to realize her dream of winning Wimbledon." Air Max 97 Neon Seoul For Sale . An unconventional night for Texas-El Paso nearly led to the Miners getting a huge upset. Down by 14 with 2:21 left, the Miners went on a frantic closing spurt that fell just short, and UTEP was beaten by No. Air Max 97 Shanghai Kaleidoscope .J. -- John Elway says Peyton Manning cannot stamp himself as the greatest quarterback in NFL history even if he wins the Super Bowl on Sunday. http://www.outletairmax97.com/air-max-97...hite-cheap.html. - Suspended Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Justin Blackmon has voluntarily checked into a treatment facility and seems to be doing well. Air Max 97 Shanghai .com) - Jahlil Okafor had 21 points, Tyus Jones scored 16 with 10 assists and No. Racer Pink Air Max Plus 97 .com) - The Miami Heat will try to close out the Charlotte Bobcats Monday night in Game 4 of their Eastern Conference first round series.The Edmonton Oilers, eager to get back on track, host the Carolina Hurricanes Tuesday night at Rexall Place. The Oilers have been idle since a 2-1 overtime setback to the Calgary Flames on Saturday. Edmonton salvaged a point and prevented a shutout loss of its own when Taylor Hall scored with 10.3 seconds left in regulation. Devan Dubnyk was solid with 25 saves before giving up the winning tally 3:14 into overtime. Edmonton, which was coming off an 8-2 win over Colorado, fell to 1-1-1 on a five-game homestand. The Oilers and Canes have split their last six meetings in Edmonton. Carolina picked up a 5-3 victory in the most recent encounter there on Dec. 7, 2011, its second straight win in the series. Dubnyk is 0-1-0 with a 4.34 GAA in two previous meetings with the Hurricanes, including one start. The Hurricanes opened up a four-game swing on Monday night in Vancouver and were blanked 2-0 by the Canucks and backup goaltender Eddie Lack, who made 31 saves in his first career shutout. Carolina backup Justin Peters gave up onne goal and finished with 24 saves for the Hurricanes, who had a season-high, three-game win streak snapped.dddddddddddd "I think as a team we deserved a better fate," said Peters. "We played the right way, we had some chances. Just give credit to their team and Lack was playing well." Carolina was shut out for the second time this season and for the first time since a 3-0 setback at home to Tampa Bay on Nov. 1. The zero-goal effort came on the same day that Canes forward Jeff Skinner was named the NHLs First Star for last week. Skinner was coming off a week-long span in which he led the league with five goals and added an assist. No. 1 netminder Cam Ward should get the start tonight for the Hurricanes and is 3-3-0 with a 2.53 goals against average in six previous meetings. "It was nice to score that goal late. It was a huge rush and a boost for the team to send it into overtime," said Hall, who was named the leagues Second Star for last week on Monday after notching four goals and two assists. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: anyela
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 3854 Themen und 3894 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen