Rampage to break the deadlock in the second period

in Events 15.11.2019 06:21
von Cl11234566 • 405 Beiträge

PHILADELPHIA -- It didnt take Russian forward Nikita Scherbak long to win over the Montreal media. "Oh my God, a lot of people," a nervous Scherbak said as he approached a phalanx of media backstage at Wells Fargo Center after going 26th overall to the Canadiens in the first round of the NHL draft Friday. "Oh my God." Within five minutes, the Saskatoon Blades winger was over his nerves and had English, French and Russian reporters eating out of his hand. What do you know about Montreal, he was asked. "Merci, bonjour," he offered. And what about the Habs? "I know Montreal wins a lot of Stanley Cups." Asked how much he weighed, Scherbak said he was 190 pounds. "But I havent eaten for two days, Im so nervous," he said to laughter. "Im sitting eating my fingers." The Russian, either six foot or 6-2 depending on who you believe, scored 28 goals and added 50 assists in his first year with the Blades to lead all WHL rookies. He also was named the Blades most valuable player and rookie of the year. "I think Im a good playmaker," he said. Habs GM Marc Bergevin marvelled at the Russians poise. "I saw somebody with a lot of personality. Hes got an appeal to him. Hes got confidence. Montreals a different market and from what weve seen so far we feel we could handle that." The Canadiens also have players who can mentor the young Russian in Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov and Alex Galchenyuk. Asked how close Scherbak is to making the NHL, Bergevin gave the stock answer. "Thats going to be up to him," he said. As for his playing skills, Bergevin pointed to his speed, skating, vision and playmaking ability. "For us, hes a top talent," he said. "For whatever reason he was at 26 so we jumped on him." The GM acknowledged that he would have looked to move down the draft had the Russian been picked earlier. Scherbak said he came to Canada because he wanted to fulfil his dream and that of his family to play in the NHL. "I dont think about the KHL," he added. The language barrier wasnt easy. At first, he said all he could do was "just show." Then he learned "easy words like cat, dog, like food, eat, sleep." A year on, he can chat away. "Thats pretty good," said one reporter. "I think so too," smiled Scherbak. "Maybe I learn French right now," he added. Reporters suddenly felt old when, asked who he looked up to in the NHL, Scherbak cited 21-year-old Edmonton Oilers forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Earlier in the day, Montreal coach Michel Therrien acknowledged he has replayed the Eastern Conference final loss in his head. "Of course," he said at the draft. "if you look at the big picture, yes were happy about the progress we made. But at the same time, when youre two wins away from reaching the Stanley Cup final, yes youve got to be disappointed." The Canadiens have already made some decisions. Bergevin says free agents Thomas Vanek, defenceman Douglas Murray and tough guy George Parros wont be back. Talks continue with three other free agents: captain Brian Gionta, and defencemen Mike Weaver and Francis Bouillon. Markov and Therrien have both signed new deals. "Thats good news for us," Therrien said of Markov staying in the fold. "Hes an important player, hes a veteran. Hes got such an important role, so were all pleased hes back with us." Therrien agreed to a four-year contract extension earlier this month. The 50-year-old is in his second stint at the Habs helm. His record over the last two seasons is 75-42-13. Finding an assistant coach to replace Gerard Gallant, now head coach of the Florida Panthers, is also on the Habs to-do list. Defenceman P.K. Subbans contract is also a major issue. Bergevin says there has already been a meeting with Subbans agent. Asked about young goalie Dustin Tokarskis immediate future, Therrien said simply: "Well see at the (training) camp." Tokarski acquitted himself well in filling in for the injured Carey Price against the Rangers. Therrien made a point of praising backup Peter Budaj, who was ignored in favour of Tokarski. "Peter is one of the best backups in the NHL. So I have a lot of respect for Peter Budaj." Fake Vans SK8 . A-Rod is also disqualified from any post-season play. So at the tender age of 38, he will miss all of next season. As a result of missing the coming season, hes also out $25 million (which coincidentally is my hourly rate). Fake Vans Outlet . - After sewage backups, toilet overflows and foul smells surfaced the past two years, nothing at the Oakland Coliseum surprises the home team anymore. http://www.fakevans.com/. At this rate, the Flyers captain is set to be remembered more for a fantastic finish. Fake Vans For Sale . -- The Jacksonville Jaguars are bringing back quarterback Chad Henne -- and making him the starter. Fake Vans Slip-on .Martin Caceres marked his return from injury by scoring in the 3-1 win at Napoli and he believes Juventus sent out a warning to the rest of the league with that result.We go out on the pitch every game looking to give our all, Caceres said.HAMILTON - Solid goaltending from Jacob Markstrom helped the San Antonio Rampage beat the Hamilton Bulldogs 4-1 Monday in the American Hockey League. Markstrom made 30 saves and Colby Robak, Drew Shor, Dylan Olsen and Vincent Trocheck scored for the Rampage (22-21-8). Patrick Holland had the lone goal for the Bulldogs (22-23-5), who have lost seven of their last nine games. Robert Mayer stopped 26 shots in the losing effort. San Antonio opened on a power play as Robak took a pass from Greg Rallo and released a high, heavy shot over Mayers shoulder at 9:16 of the first period. The Bulldogs used the forecheck to score the tying goal at 18:48 as Martin St. Pierre flicked a centring pass in front that clipped the skate of Holland as he skated through the slot and slid past Markstrom. But it took less tthan a minute for the Rampage to break the deadlock in the second period on an odd-man rush with Rallo shooting and Shore swatting in the rebound just 23 seconds into the period.dddddddddddd Less than two minutes later, San Antonio doubled its lead when Olsens wrist shot caught Mayer by surprise and beat him through the five hole at 2:01. Hamilton head coach Sylvain Lefebvre called a time out to settle his group. Hamilton had a chance to cut the deficit 10 minutes into the period when Christian Thomas stole the puck in the low slot and snapped a wrist shot over Markstroms crossbar. Trocheck put the game away when he scored into the empty net at 18:24. Hamiltons power play was shut out for the second straight game, as the Bulldogs went 0-4 with the man advantage. San Antonio was 1-1. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: anyela
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 3854 Themen und 3894 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen