Carlyle said. Sure,

in TS-Server 26.11.2019 02:41
von jinshuiqian0713 • 1.130 Beiträge

PINEHURST, N.C. -- Much to his delight, Martin Kaymer discovered that Pinehurst No. 2 was even more different than he imagined in the U.S. Open. This wasnt the beast of a course that Kaymer and so many other players were expecting. This was a day for scoring. Kaymer made six birdies Thursday afternoon, three on the final five holes, that sent the 29-year-old German to the lowest score in three Opens held at Pinehurst No. 2. He made a 6-foot par putt on the 18th hole for a 5-under 65 and a three-shot lead. "It was more playable than I thought," he said. "I think that made a big difference mentally, that you feel like there are actually some birdies out there, not only bogeys." So much was made of the new look at No. 2, which was restored to its old look from more than a half-century ago. There also was plenty of talk that this U.S. Open would be as tough as any U.S. Open. When he finished his final day of practice Wednesday under a broiling sun, Kaymer was asked what it would take to win. "I said plus 8 because the way the golf course played on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday," he said. "But obviously, they softened the conditions a little bit so it was more playable. So hopefully, Im not right with the plus 8. I would be disappointed." Former U.S. Open champion Graeme McDowell took the conservative route on his way to a 68 that featured 15 pars, one bogey, one birdie and one eagle. He was joined by Kevin Na, Brendon de Jonge and Fran Quinn, a 49-year-old who last played a U.S. Open in 1996, when Tiger Woods was still an amateur. "This was a golf course where I spent the last few days just preparing myself mentally for the challenge, really, knowing that this golf course wasnt going to give much and it was only going to take," McDowell said. "Im assuming they put some water on this place this morning. And we were able to take advantage of that a little bit early on and actually think about getting at some of those flags." Brandt Snedeker, who had a chance at 30 on his front nine, had to settle for being part of a large group at 69 that included 20-year-old Jordan Spieth, Henrik Stenson, Matt Kuchar and Dustin Johnson. The 15 players to shoot in the 60s were the most for an opening round at the U.S. Open since 24 players did it at rain-softened Olympia Fields in 2003. Phil Mickelson, in his latest quest to win the one major keeping him from the career Grand Slam, shot a 70. He was among the early starters, who received additional help by cloud cover that kept moisture in the greens. Mickelson doesnt expect Pinehurst to be any easier the rest of the week. "There was some low scoring out there -- some good scoring, I should say," he said. "Anything around par, its usually a good score." Masters champion Bubba Watson was among the exceptions. He shot a 76 and said, "This course is better than me right now." Graeme DeLaet of Weyburn, Sask., is already well off the pace after shooting 75. The sun broke through shortly before noon and began to bake the course, though not enough to stop Kaymer. He watched some of the tournament on television in the morning, and he was particularly struck by the sight of Stensons 6-iron into the par-3 15th only rolling out a few feet. Kaymer expected it to roll off the green. "Last night I thought that its going to be very, very firm in the afternoon," he said. "But actually, it was more playable than I thought." Not everyone was able to take advantage. Defending champion Justin Rose had a 72, making his bid a little tougher to become the first repeat winner in 25 years. Adam Scott, the world No. 1 who has been formidable in every major the last two years except the U.S. Open, had a 73. Scott wasnt about to panic. Pinehurst only figures to get more difficult. "You know how its going to be at the end of the week," Scott said. "Were going to be looking at even par, or something around that." Kaymer picked up four birdies with relative ease -- three wedges to inside 3 feet, and a high draw with a 3-wood to about 20 feet on the par-5 fifth for a two-putt birdie. A few longer putts at the end really dressed up the score. He hit a 6-iron at the flag on the 16th hole and made a 12-foot birdie putt, and then hit another 6-iron at the par-3 17th to about 10 feet for birdie. Kaymer tied the course record with a 63 in the opening round when he won The Players Championship last month, ending a drought of some 18 months. That only boosted his confidence, and the 65 on Thursday only adds to it. Even so, he realizes its only one round, and that the course probably wont be so kind or gentle the rest of the way. "I would have never expected myself to shoot such a low round at Pinehurst ... but its a good round of golf," he said. "I wasnt expecting it. Im not freaking out about it. Its the first round of a very, very important tournament. I put myself so far in a good position, but we have three rounds to go. The golf course can change a lot. "If other people want to make more out of it, its fine," he said. "But for me, its a great start into one of the most important weeks of the year." Jerome Walton Cubs Jersey . His brother — Red Lake chiropractor Richard Radford — is en route to Sochi to cheer on his younger brother. "Ive been getting texts from Eric and he just says the atmosphere is amazing, its special,” he said. Rod Beck Jersey . 1 status and was unable to prevent a late season collapse, James Reimer said he wants to put the past behind him and is looking forward to spending the next two years in a Maple Leaf uniform. https://www.cheapcubs.com/870t-albert-al...ersey-cubs.html. Toronto ended an 0-4-0 skid with Sundays shootout win over visiting New Jersey, but the club could have a difficult time making it two victories in a row tonight. The Maple Leafs have dropped three straight and 11 of the last 12 regular- season meetings against Boston overall and the Bruins have claimed six straight in Beantown. Dennis Eckersley Jersey . Paire broke Giraldo twice and lost his serve once in both sets to wrap up the win in 1 hour, 10 minutes. He will next face Pablo Carreno Busta of Spain, who advanced when Jurgen Zopp of Estonia retired with an injury at 5-5 in the first set. Mark Prior Jersey .com) - Guard Greivis Vasquez and forward Patrick Patterson, two key pieces to the Toronto Raptors run to an Atlantic Division title in 2013-14, were both given qualifying offers by the team on Saturday.TORONTO - Even as Toronto Maple Leafs players tried to forget a humiliating loss to the Boston Bruins, coaches reminded them just how bad it was. Randy Carlyle wanted to stimulate their memories about how embarrassed they were. It worked. On Wednesday night the Maple Leafs turned the tables and embarrassed the Bruins in a 6-1 blowout at Air Canada Centre. The last game that we played against them, there was a lot of emotion and a lot of frustration, Carlyle said. Our group, it was time to say: Hey, enoughs enough. This isnt cutting it. We have to change the way were approaching things. And thats coaching included. That was enough. Toronto improved to 6-1-1 since that 4-1 loss Oct. 25. The Leafs (9-5-2) even moved past the Bruins (10-7-0) in the Atlantic Division standings by walloping them in the rematch. Phil Kessel torched his former team with two goals to get to 10 on the season. He helped chase Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender Tuukka Rask, who got the hook after surrendering four goals on 16 shots. You know what, I havent scored many goals on him, Kessel said. Tonight I was a little fortunate to get a couple past him. I dont know. Morgan Rielly, Tyler Bozak, James van Riemsdyk and Peter Holland each scored a goal apiece. Jonathan Bernier was solid in making 25 saves despite not being tested much. It was one of the Leafs better efforts of the season, and some of the motivation for it was borne out of how they felt last month. I think we really felt liked we owed Boston one, said Holland, who scored his third goal in as many games. Last time they were in here, we felt a little embarrassed about our effort. We wanted to make sure we came out strong, and obviously a couple quick goals in the second put them back on their heels and we were just able to maintain that momentum throughout. Kessel scored his first goal 6:46 into the first period and then 18 seconds into the second. It was clear from the get-go the Bruins wouldnt have much of a response. Boston coach Claude Julien said his team was just terrible all around. We just stunk the joint out, Julien said. We got a game (Thursday night in Montreal). You certainly cant cut down your bench when you play the next night, and even if I did, I dont think I wouldve been able to put anybody out there that deserved to be out there.dddddddddddd Centre Chris Kelly said, the only thing we did as a team: we all played poorly. After Rask gave way to backup Niklas Svedberg, Julien said he wasnt even thinking about his goaltending decision for the second half of this back-to-back at the rival Canadiens. This was rivalry night on U.S. television, and the Leafs were into it from the start. After allowing goals within the first three minutes in their past three, Carlyle called this his teams best start of the season. We were on the puck and we were skating and we were directing pucks at the net, Carlyle said. Phils goal was a big goal early, and then we started out the second period the same way: we scored early. The goals piled up in the second period, and the Leafs finished with three power-play goals. Bernier wasnt busy at the other end, allowing only one goal to Dennis Seidenberg. Bernier, who was yanked in the previous Boston game, could easily recall his feelings from that night. You get down 4-0 in your own building and get booed, its not a great feeling, Bernier said. That was something tonight we had to come out hard right off the bat and give it to them. Van Riemsdyk said he and his teammates couldnt get too high after this victory, seeing as its just one of 82 and some measure of redemption. Carlyle tempered his excitement based on the Leafs next opponent. We dont want to get too far ahead of ourselves, Carlyle said. Sure, we feel good about ourselves right now, but whos coming on Friday? That would be Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins. Notes - Leafs defenceman Stephane Robidas was playing in his 900th NHL game. Robidas left the game briefly in the first period after blocking a shot but did not miss much time. ... With an assist on Kessels first goal, Cody Franson extended his point streak to five games. ... Bruins centre David Krejci missed his second straight game and fourth in the past five with an undisclosed injury. Krejci did not travel with the team, so he also isnt expected to play Thursday night in Montreal ... Bruins defenceman Matt Bartkowski was a healthy scratch for the sixth straight game. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: anyela
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 3854 Themen und 3894 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen